The day began at 8:15 as I visited Drew School...it actually began about 45 minutes prior when I arrived at Drew intentionally early so that I had time to find a parking spot. And boy, did I need it! I drove in circles for 35 minutes until a spot finally opened up, and I made it to my appointment with 4 minutes to spare! Victory!
At Drew I met with the new head of college counseling and her staff, and also had the chance to say hello to their head of school. I also met with five students and they were a terrific bunch! Drew is expanding its physical plant and I can't wait to see it next year. This is a shot of the exterior on California Street; the library is at the top of the building.

Lowell High School on the west side of the city was my second stop. Again, a wonderful visit. I met with one student who asked great questions, and I'm hopeful she'll follow through with the travel grant application. Three parent volunteers were also there, and I enjoyed talking with them. One of them has a son going through the application process now--he wasn't able to get free for my presentation--but I'm certain she'll share everything she learned with him!

Third stop of the day was The Urban School of San Francisco. We got off to a late start--the energy at Urban is amazing, everyone is always so busy--but I had ample time to talk with the eleven students who met and shared their lunch hour with Kenyon. Their questions were terrific!

My fourth and final visit of the day took me to Stuart Hall on Octavia Street. This was my first visit there and I'll absolutely be back. It's the alma mater of one of our amazing firstyear students, Ikenna, and everybody I met sent their best regards. A few of them said that Stuart Hall just hasn't been the same without him...which made me miss Kenyon all the more, because I haven't seen any of the students in weeks. Two students were able to meet with me while stealing a few moments away from classes, and I'm eager to work with them over the coming weeks.

And a shot from the main stairwell at Stuart Hall:
I'm not sure if you can read it but it translates to "Wise" and "Freedom".I met with one student in Emeryville for an interview this evening whose father was Kenyon '83!
From the East Bay, all the best.
-Noble

No comments:
Post a Comment