Kenyon College

Monday, October 11, 2010

A foggy but terrific start

It was an excellent beginning to my Portland area travels!

I began the day at Westview High School, my second visit there in as many years. I met with one student who was well versed in Kenyon. She's applied for a Trustee Opportunity Travel Grant and I'm hopeful that I'll be able to welcome her to campus for a visit in a few weeks. She's asking all the right questions as she navigates this search process and it will be fun working with her.

It was such a foggy start to the day! I did my best to capture some publishable photos but as you'll see, I didn't do all that well...


Next stop was to Sunset High School, home of the Apollos. I met with a counselor there and updated her with all of the new developments at Kenyon. There were no students present, which surprised me given that we now have two Apollos at Kenyon, but I know we have a few interested.

Sunset is an Oregon Green School. Read more about it!


A quick trip to Beaverton High School, home of the Beavers, found me meeting with the very active counseling staff who introduced me to one student who is also hoping to visit campus via the travel grant. He, too, asked great questions, and I hope to see him in Gambier soon.

I did my best to get a decent picture of Beaverton High without looking too suspicious...the looks I attract! I'm always afraid someone will think I'm taking pictures of kids!!! Sometimes I settle for a different picture just so I don't attract attention.



Finally I headed into the city proper for a meeting at Northwest Academy. I met with ten students, all juniors, and I hope my talk was valuable for them. To be honest it was one of the most difficult places to present...and it has never happened there before. As luck would have it, the sixth grade orchestra was rehearsing next door and it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to concentrate! Let's just say that they are in dire need of rehearsal...but they know it, and their concert isn't until June, so I'm not too worried.


That's it for me today!

From Portland, all the best.
-Noble

No comments: