So, I took advantage (and, knowing that I couldn't check into my hotel so early) of the situation and headed to Portland Saturday Market under the Burnside Bridge. I avoided the temptation of Voodoo Donuts yet again, I'm proud to say.
Saturday Market (yes, open on both Saturday and Sunday) plays host to artisans, craftspeople and musicians from throughout Oregon. It's off the beaten path, and you get to see a side of Portland you might miss otherwise. I highly recommend it! Here's a picture of one part of the market...yes, raining in PDX, what a surprise. The rain did break a bit after noon, though, and the rest of the day was rather warm.
The Skidmore Fountain sits in the middle of the Market. The light-rail is in the background, which provides free transportation around downtown and over the river to the convention center.
It also happened that the Portland Marathon took place today. Here's a picture of a few brave (soaking wet!!!) souls nearing the finish line. On top of the building in the background is the iconic "Made in Oregon" sign...I'll try for a better picture this week.

I'm excited to start my visits in the morning. Portland is a great city and I love the people I meet here. I have four visits scheduled and, though I offered spots for three interviews tomorrow evening, I have yet to fill them--a bit disappointing. Still, I'm looking forward to a busy week!
From Portland, all the best.
-Noble

No comments:
Post a Comment