Kenyon College

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

BusyBusyBusy in San Jose

Such a busy day! And it felt even busier due to the crazy traffic in and around San Jose.

I allowed forty-five minutes for my drive to Notre Dame High School on Second Street in downtown San Jose. There was no traffic on the drive down, however. So I arrived early by about forty minutes for my appointment...and sat in the visitor parking looking totally suspect. Oh well. Nobody called the police, and when it finally came time I had a most enjoyable meeting with a few young women and their counselor. This is a most attractive garden at the school.


The Harker School was my second visit of the day. It was only about a twelve minute drive from Notre Dame. Was only supposed to be. That was before the three-car accident that brought traffic to a standstill. I called the counseling office to let them know I would be late, and ultimately made it just about ten minutes after I was scheduled to begin. I met with one student at Harker and I'm hopeful she'll come to campus for a visit.



The third stop of the day was at Archbishop Mitty High School. I love visiting this school because it is home to one of my favorite students to enroll at Kenyon, and when I visit Mitty I remember meeting him for the first time. Today I met another terrific young man and I look forward to working with him through the application process.


Lynbrook High School was my fourth stop of the day. It was my first visit to their campus and it didn't disappoint! I had an enjoyable chat with an interested student--she'd done a considerable amount of research on Kenyon already, so it was a fun presentation. And the Lynbrook counselor, Ms. Bulaich, who is new to the high school (though not to counseling), had a ton of questions and it was a delight getting to know her.


I took this picture of the student parking lot at Lynbrook. I was amazed that they had covered parking...then I realized the 'covers' were actually solar cells!!! How innovative and genius!


I have to apologize that I didn't take a picture at my last stop of the day at Bellarmine Prep. I couldn't fit in a good picture without looking ultra-suspicious and meandering around campus, and I had to hightail it back to my hotel for an interview. Thanks to the counselors there for making me feel so welcome!

I'm exhausted! The fifth week on the road is starting to catch up to me, I have to be honest. But I'm so excited to see more friends and meet new students that I'm really looking forward to my visits remaining.

From Palo Alto, all the best.
-Noble

No comments: