Kenyon College

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Roubghriders, owls and an onion volcano!

My day began with the Roughriders of Roosevelt High School where they were celebrating Harry Potter Day. I was treated to the morning announcements from Professor Dumbledore. The school is named (obviously) in honor of Theodore Roosevelt. I had a quick meeting, touching base with the counseling staff and meeting one student, and then I had the pleasure of sitting down to interview another Roosevelt student later in the day.

The building itself is impressive--very much like Garfield. It recently underwent extensive renovations, and the facilities are beautiful.

Looking up at the school from NE 66th Street:
The school motto is, "What I am to be I am now becoming." It was founded in 1922. This is located inside the front door, a stunning tile mosaic.

It sits in front of the painting below...how exciting these were preserved during renovations!


For my next three visits I headed east about 20 miles to Sammamish for my first visit to Skyline High School. I had a wonderful visit with eight students and had the sincere pleasure of meeting Karen Edgar, the head counselor. Two of the students were actually on campus just two weeks ago! I'm delighted to now know about Skyline and their IB curriculum, and I look forward to future visits. The school is known for its success in football, having won the last three state championships and five all-together since 2000.


I then headed north a bit to Redmond High School where the counseling office is always so welcoming. (If you're visiting, just be certain you ask for the Career Center...otherwise you end up in an entirely different spot!) Three students were there and I had a nice conversation with staff, discussing PreMed options at Kenyon. Redmond and Skyline look similar in designs, but both are impressive, relatively new facilities.

Finally I headed out to The Overlake School--not far from Redmond High, actually-- and their stunning campus. It is set on a hilltop, much like Kenyon, surrounded by beautiful pines with the mountains in the distance. I met with one of the students with whom I had met the previous evening for an interview, and it was a terrific opportunity to help him complete his picture of Kenyon.

Overlake is home of the Owls (also like Kenyon, home of the Owl Creek). A few years ago the school celebrated its 40 year anniversary. As a special project in celebration, students decorated owls which now adorn the school's building. Check 'em out!

How about Flavor Flav Owl? Totally awesome!


And lastly, this excellent owl who stands outside the main office at Overlake.

That's one of the coolest things I've seen in the Seattle area...it appears to be timeless.

After a few enjoyable interviews, I met up with Stew Kerns '06 and we treated ourselves to Benihana. The food was fantastic--best of the trip--and it was a special occasion as my travels in Seattle are drawing to a close. For those who haven't been able to eat in this fashion, a still-photo of the 'onion volcano':

It is spouting steam behind the too-quick-to-be-pictured hands of the chef, in case you can't see it. Stew is a good friend, and I appreciate his volunteering a few weeks back to help our dean at Eight of the Best. He's actually headed back to campus in the morning to play in the Alumni Game with the men's lacrosse team on Saturday. Good luck, Stew!

Well, that's almost it for my travels in Seattle. I'll check in tomorrow night, and likely won't submit an entry until next weekend when I return to the Pacific Northwest for a week in Portland. Tomorrow I begin with a stop up north and then head to Tacoma for two visits, and that will be a wrap on the Emerald City!

From Lake Union, all the best.
-Noble

No comments: