I started out at St. George's Independent School where the president, Bill Taylor, is both a Kenyon alumnus and current Kenyon parent! It's one of those places that is very comfortable to visit, perhaps for that reason, or perhaps because the staff is so friendly. Though I didn't meet with any students, I had a valuable and enjoyable visit. I hope to see more Griffins at Kenyon in the future, though! That's the mascot for the school, and here's a beautiful stained glass that hangs in the entryway to the school.

I then headed about a mile or so down the road to Houston High School where I had the pleasure to meet once again with Ms. Little. I also was able to meet her intern, a graduate student through the University of Memphis completing her Masters' in school counseling.
I believe the mascot for Houston High is the mustang. The above bulletin board welcomes visitors to the school.My final visit of the day took me to Lausanne Collegiate in Memphis. Sadly I wasn't able to meet their new counselor, Ms. Thigpen, as her husband had taken ill the night before, but I look forward to working with her in the years to come. I had a terrific visit, though, and met five wonderful students. The plaque below hands outside the main entrance to school.
Since I behaved last night and didn't hit it up for all you can eat rib night, I treated myself to my favorite spot in Germantown. The Germantown Commissary is fantastic barbeque. (To the ladies in the Financial Aid office, this is for you!) It is hickory-smoked, whereas I typically prefer mesquite, but amazingly tasty nonetheless. The Commissary was originally exactly that--a commissary store--but has been home to some awesome eats since 1981. (And home to some noteworthy deviled eggs, as well...not as good as Diana Blue's...but good.)Find the railroad tracks near downtown Germantown, and you've found The Commissary. Their slogan: "So good y'ull slap yo' mama." Can't argue with that...
To Nashville in the morning!From Memphis, all the best.
-Noble

No comments:
Post a Comment