Kenyon College

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Viva Nashvegas!

Hello from Nashville! My day began with a quick 180+ mile drive from Memphis to my first appointment at the University School of Nashville. I had to wait around for a fire drill to wrap up, which ended up putting me a few minutes behind on the day, but fortunately the guidance staff had let us know of the scheduled drill in advance. I was prepared to talk quickly! As luck would have it, the students in attendance both spent time on campus this summer as part of The Kenyon Review's Young Writers Workshop. They had a terrific sense of Gambier and our campus. (Sadly I forgot to snap a picture at USN due to the fire drill, I'm sorry to say.)

Next I headed to Hume-Fogg Academic High School in downtown Nashville. Two students were waiting patiently (thank you!) after my struggles to find parking made me a bit late. Meet the namesakes of this school:




































Finally I ventured southwest to Ensworth High School out on Highway 100. I had the pleasure of meeting with five students with an array of interests, and it was a delightful meeting. Their campus is gorgeous. Here's a picture of the development office house, listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

And, conveniently, I found myself so close to The Loveless Cafe that I just couldn't say no... wonderful biscuits and a home-cooked lunch. A fantastic end to the day!

Near the northern terminus of the Natchez Trace Parkway (which I hope to drive some day, all 444 miles), the Loveless has been in business since 1951. A real Tennessee original, and a definite must-see.

Finally for today, a late entry from my time in Memphis. I captured this in the hallway at St. Mary's and it made me smile. I hope it does the same for you.


From Nashville, all the best.
-Noble