Kenyon College

Monday, September 20, 2010

Bears and miniatures

I was a tourist for the first part of the day as I waited for my afternoon meeting at the United World College Lester Pearson. It was a beautiful day in Victoria with fantastic weather, though it was quite windy.

Here's a shot of the capital building in daylight.

The tree in front of the building's dome is the official Christmas tree for the province. It's a redwood that is more than 100 years old. Below is a close-up picture of the tree's trunk. It is a mammoth, and utterly awe-inspiring. I would love to see it decorated for the holidays.

Though I haven't traveled in one, seaplanes rule the skies up here. It only makes sense, given how many islands there are. The ones below are for sightseeing, and commuting...not a common sight in Ohio.



Here's another picture of the busy harbor. The two building with grass roofs are my favorite spot for lunch in Victoria--all fresh seafood, harvested responsibly, like you can't find every day. (The locals were complaining about the large ship blocking their regular view...)


Ikea stools make up the furniture for the restaurant. Customers sit outside on the wharf. Ravens and seagulls compete for dropped crumbs. This guy was working hard.

After lunch, I tried to visit the museum below...but it wasn't meant to be, as I just couldn't fit in this small world...



















So many questions.


















When I made it out Lester Pearson, the visit did not disappoint. In addition to a simply stunning campus set in the woods, and set on an unbelievably gorgeous cove, the people there are fantastic. I had the pleasure of meeting their new counselor (who also is a Pearson graduate herself) and three terrific students. As always, a pleasure to visit. A shot from campus...


And, it's the only campus I visit with a warning welcome such as this...


I'm in Victoria for the night, flying to Anchorage in the morning.

From British Columbia, all the best.
-Noble

No comments: