This garden welcomes visitors outside the main office.

South Anchorage was my next stop. Ms. Young welcomed me along with some students. I appreciate their taking time out of their lunch period to learn more about Kenyon!
South Anchorage is home to the Wolverines. Sadly I couldn't track down any of those critters for a photo op, but here's the view looking south from the front entryway of the high school. To the left is this really cool bit of landscaping using natural rocks and concrete blocks...but no matter how I tried, I just couldn't get a great photo of it.

My last high school visit in Anchorage was at Robert Service High School. I suppose that the "Pennin' Poets" wouldn't be all that intimidating as a mascot, so they chose the Cougar instead. The fellow below greets you at the main office...quite the welcome!

So nice, you should see it twice!

I met with a number of students at Service and as expected had a wonderful visit with Ms. Benedetti. She, too, is a staunch advocate for student resources, and I wish she had more access and resources for them. It is difficult entering a school and espousing the values of the liberal arts when international oil drilling and oilfield services companies are recruiting alongside you in the hallways. And while I understand the incentive offered by the state government to stay in Alaska for higher education, isn't that contrary to what we teach our children? Don't we want them to see and experience the world? Don't we encourage them to stretch their horizons, and to challenge themselves?
With my last entry from Alaska, check out some of the Chugach mountain range (and the stunning blue skies!). The view from Service...


I then headed back to East High for an essay workshop with Ms. Bingley's TRIO students. A terrific time, to be sincere! What a great group, and a pleasure to work with...I hope they enjoyed the time as much as I did.
That's it for me from Alaska! On to the Emerald City!
From the west coast, all the best.
-Noble

No comments:
Post a Comment