Today was an enjoyable day and I'm excited I was able to pull off all of my visits on time despite some poor (tight!) scheduling on my part. I began the day at Garfield High School where I met with one student. We had a great meeting--though they may not be as productive in terms of numbers, such encounters allow me to get to know students better than I might otherwise.
To be honest, it is sad visiting Garfield without Karen Engstrom there. The college and career center is now managed through the counseling office, and though those folks are nice, you can tell that they are stretched thin. When visiting, I don't get the same feel for the school as I used to with Karen, and you aren't afforded the opportunity to share updates regarding Kenyon and the like. It's a shame that these city schools can't fully support their students adequately.
The entry to Garfield is rather impressive as it sits on the side of a hill and overlooks visitors as you approach. It must be most intimidating to enter as a student!!!
I then raced (legally!) up to Shorecrest High School, home of the Highlanders. It was my first visit to this school but it definitely won't be my last. I met with four students who seemed to have done their research, and I'm excited to learn more about them and their school. The entry to Shorecrest:
Next was a quick ride back south to The Northwest School. I knew Anna would be out at NACAC (sorry to have missed you!) but I had the pleasure of meeting with Anne Smith, who attended college not far from Kenyon. It was great talking with her! I met one student there and our one-on-one helped both of us see his fit with Kenyon in better light, I believe, and I'm delighted he was able to meet me. (And to make it even better, the new interim head of the lower school is a Kenyon alumnus!) Check out this school--it's on the National Register and is an awesome building.

Finally, I rolled down to Tacoma to meet with Noel at Charles Wright Academy. His background includes admissions from the college side of the desk though most recently he was in development at CWA. Welcome back to counseling, Noel! I look forward to working with you, and please give my best to Katie who is also at NACAC. The first picture is the new building at CWA, the second is the upper school where I meet with counseling staff.


How about that change in weather? Beautiful and around 68 degrees by the time I arrived at CWA after a chilly and foggy day, a thicker-than-split pea soup fog that obscured all of downtown above the 15th floors.
From Tacoma, how about this huge eagle?
A few interviews this evening made for a full and thoroughly enjoyable day.From Seattle, all the best.
-Noble

No comments:
Post a Comment