Kenyon College

Saturday, September 19, 2009

One note of business, and a recap of a fun day

Our Director of Admissions, Darryl Uy, forwarded me an interesting article written by the President of Defiance College. In it, Mr. Mark Gordon explains that, though his college increased eight positions in the US News annual rankings, he won't celebrate or brag. The much-anticipated rankings don't capture the true performance of colleges and universities or how well they operate on a day-to-day basis in the service of educating their students.

Okay, it's Saturday, so a quick recap of my day. I visited Portland Saturday Market, heard some great bluegrass there, and then visited a few different spots around town. I returned to the neighborhood of my hotel and then went for a long walk, and wrapped up the day with some exciting laundry. So I'm all set to get back at it tomorrow with four interviews in the afternoon.

But the most exciting part of today was a visit to Pine Street Biscuits. If you're EVER in Portland, head straight to this place. Be prepared to wait. And don't expect to be able to sit in the restaurant and eat... I recommend getting food to go unless you're visiting at a non-peak time. And I SWEAR I'm not doing this for compensation (though if they should choose to send me some of their amazing biscuits I wouldn't send them back!) I had never heard of Pine Street before last night... as I was preparing for bed and flipping through TV stations I stopped on Guy Fieri's 'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives' on the Food Network. It just so happened that he was visiting Pine Street in Portland. I took it as a sign.


I enjoyed the best chicken biscuit (home-breaded breast of chicken with some out-of-this-world bacon, cheddar, an egg and sausage gravy to die for) and a side of equally righteous home fries. Don't deny yourself this treat. It's one of the best meals I've ever enjoyed, and the three guys from North Carolina who opened the restaurant should be awarded keys to the city. You'll never find a better biscuit.



It's so good that it deserves two pictures in my blog! An outside shot of the perpetual line of patrons, and an interior picture showing the notably small yet highly efficient kitchen.




I imagine that Ellie the Cat, waiting for me back in Gambier, would look something like this if we served her a Pine Street Biscuit with sausage gravy.

Enjoy your weekend!

From Oregon, all the best.
-Noble

No comments: