Kenyon College

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Car fires, amazing people and street legal ducks

Wow. Today had so many ups and downs but at the end of the day I can only wrap it up by saying how grateful I am for the opportunities my job affords. My materials are still MIA. (Sorry, everyone! Thanks for being so understanding!) I hung around the neighborhood of my hotel, becoming visibly on edge every time a UPS truck was spotted, much longer than I should have. And I was stuck in traffic for the better part of an hour...car fires can do quite a number on an interstate's traffic flow. Thankful it wasn't mine, and more so that no one appeared to be injured.

The weather out here is unseasonably warm and sunny, which means the views have been to die for. Mount Rainier seems ever present...in fact, at times it becomes difficult to drive because your eyes are taken by the scenery. Tonight, I'm out in Port Angeles, Washington. Rather remote. But breathtakingly beautiful. I hope to snap some memorable pictures to share with you on tomorrow's ferry ride. I wish I could have captured the sun setting over the Hood River Bridge...one of the more stunning vistas I've encountered and notable with the natural magnificence of the river and mountains, and the stark contrast to the engineering marvel which is the bridge itself.

The pictures I have to share today are of some wonderful people. And that's one of my favorite aspects of my job. No matter my worries or concerns of the world, admissions work acquaints you with some of the best people you can hope to know.

My first stop of the day was at University Prep. Here's a shot of Kelly Herrington with our Kenyon poster:I always look forward to my visit with Kelly. It's a pleasure hearing everything he's involved with to make college more accessible for students who haven't historically had the chance. What a gift to UPrep and the greater world of admissions counseling.

My next stop was at Rainier Scholars. We're partnered with this community-based organization to help young scholars find success at colleges across the country...of course we're always hoping they choose Kenyon! Welcome to Nikki Danos, Rainier's new counselor, who has relocated to Seattle from Los Angeles!

Finally, I visited with some terrific students at Mercer Island High School. Some of them had been to Gambier recently which was fantastic as they were able to speak to the beauty and feel of our campus...made my job that much easier!

Here's a quick shot I snapped of the entry...it was a busy day at MIHS and I couldn't find anyone to pose for me. It's the only school I visit with the Islander as a mascot.

And finally, my picture of the day...street legal ducks! Actually they're canoes--incredibly beautiful--and were parked on the road a few blocks from MI. I'd LOVE to have one of my own to float down the Kokosing.

From Port Angeles, all the best.
-Noble

No comments: