Kenyon College

Monday, September 14, 2009

Eight appointments makes for a long but lovely day

Four high school visits today followed by four fantastic interviews with prospective students, and I'm exhausted! My day started at Holy Names Academy where I was able to meet their new counselor, Meg. I also had the distinct pleasure of meeting with Alice Tanaka, the head counselor at Holy Names...and a meeting with Alice could never be bad! She makes you smile for the duration of the day, a truly wonderful person who is yet another gem of the college counseling world. Here's a picture looking up the main steps at Holy Names, a striking building.

I then headed to Garfield High School where I wasn't able to meet with any students. Unfortunately, no one was present at the counseling office for my meeting, despite the fact that our Kenyon poster was displayed prominently by the entryway advertising my visit at the correct time. Oh well, win some, lose some. I was coerced ever-so-nicely into buying a raffle ticket in support of the women's basketball team, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the drawing! Winner need not be present! Garfield is housed in a beautiful old building, recently remodeled and well maintained. The pride in the school is palpable, and it is a pleasure to visit this Seattle neighborhood institution. Immediately adjacent to the academic building is the Quincy Jones Performing Arts Center, an impressive resource for the community.

I then headed east to Redmond High School where I met with three impressive young people and was warmly welcomed by their terrific counseling staff.

My final appointment of the day was at Newport High School. It was a visit at the end of the day and I fear that not many students remember that we're coming for a visit at that time. Still, I was able to say hello to the counseling staff and perhaps one of these days we'll see some interest from this high school.

As mentioned above, my day came to a close with four interviews. And what a wonderful way to close my day! The students brought a wide range of interests to the table: Chemistry, PreMed, Classics, Biology, Spanish and English/PreLaw. It's a pleasure to have the opportunity to meet and talk with students about their dreams for themselves and the world. My faith in humanity is reaffirmed on a daily basis. I thank them all for their open minds in engaging the interview process...I hope it is as fun for them as it is for me.

And finally, an uneventful but very exciting (for me!) picture of the day. My materials!

From Seattle, all the best.
-Noble

No comments: