
Today was just as frenetic as yesterday so I'm feeling ragged but rejuvenated after meeting so many fantastic students. My morning started at The Northwest School where students attend classes in a facility listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Anna Burkhalter was kind enough to pose by the notice of this recognition with my travel binder in tow. She's a terrific sport! And an even better resource...we talked extensively about admissions efforts in the Pacific Northwest and I'm grateful for her perspective. Though there were no students who were able to free themselves from classes, that wouldn't be the case for the rest of the day. However, from our discussions, I'm thinking of proposing a few different types of events for future cycles. We'll see what develops as we go forward and have the opportunity to reflect on lessons from this travel season.
One thing we discussed is the false belief of students that urban campuses offer more that rural settings. I firmly believe, from my experience as a student at Kenyon and my time living in rural Gambier, that if students are living their life appropriately, engaging in their classes and their community, trying new things and taking advantage of all the college has to offer, then it doesn't matter where the campus is located. In my experience at Kenyon, I was much too busy to dwell on the fact I wasn't in a big city... and it didn't matter! I wish I had twelve years to go through Kenyon because it felt as if every time I made a decision to attend one event there were two others I was forced to miss. I hope students can see this in their searches, and they find a campus that exists in its own right.
I then headed to Seattle Acad
emy, a short drive from Northwest. I had a most enjoyable time talking to two students and saying hello to Tom and Melanie of the counseling office (and faculty of the school). Academy is an urban campus and students will actually use the some sidewalks of the city as hallways. A bit different than my experience at Brookfield High!Upon my first visit to Seattle Academy four years ago I asked Tom for lunch recommendations (stay with me here!). He suggested a Vietnamese place down the street and to be honest it's one of my favorite spots in all of Seattle, and a deal to end all deals. They have lunch specials that are more than reasonably priced. But I realized how amusing it was that I'm obsessed with eating at this random restaurant EVERY time I visit the neighborhood of Seattle Academy. In case you're in the area at lunchtime, here's a clue to help you find it...


My next stop was at Bush School where I met with six students and had a great time catching up with the counselors. Stacie is expecting and her baby is due in November (good luck and best wishes, Stacie!). Here's a picture of the old mansion that houses the counseling office, among other departments. In certain ways, Bush feels like Kenyon to me, and I always enjoy my time there.
Finally, I wrapped up my travels with a visit to Roosevelt High School, home of the Roughriders. This magnificent building reopened two years ago (if I remember correctly) and it sits atop a hill in its neighborhood with a certain pomp and majesty, a perhaps befitting presence given its namesake.
College representatives are hosted by parent volunteers because budget cuts have eliminated much of the staffing resources. I'm grateful that there remain segments of our population who still understand the value of education and give willingly of their time to accommodate these meetings. Thank you for your service!And finally, my picture of the day, brought to you by Roosevelt High. Inside the fron
t door of the school is this bust of Teddy and a 'big stick' courtesy of the class of '66. In truth the stick is BIG. It's about six feet long and I couldn't get an entire picture of it. "Walk softly but carry a big stick." That's one heck of a rallying cry. In the morning I have two visits planned in Seattle before heading down to Tacoma for two more visits. I'll then head south via I-5, a rather scenic drive, to Portland, Oregon, where I'll set up shop through next Wednesday.
Hello to the four students I interviewed this evening! It was a pleasure getting to know each of you, and I hope you're able to visit campus soon.
From Seattle for the last night, all the best.
-Noble

No comments:
Post a Comment