It was a light day in terms of visits because I was kindly invited to speak tonight at a local senior college night. My day started at Branson School where the college counseling staff has moved into the new student center. It's a gorgeous 'green' facility and a bright, welcoming environment. Check out the mountain up behind it!
I also snapped a picture of this fantastic oak tree that sits atop a hill overlooking most of the lower campus. I hope this picture gives you a sense of how huge this tree it--reminiscent of some of those found on our South Quad back in Gambier.
My second stop of the day was to San Domenico in San Anselmo. If you're not looking for the San Domenico campus, you won't find it! It is set at the end of a long and winding residential road, surrounded by stunning mountains on all sides. I've been told that those mountains were the birthplace of mountain biking, but I'm not certain if that's true or not! Here's a shot of the amazing campus.
My final visit of the day was at Marin Academy which sits in the city of San Rafael overlooking the town and valley. It's a great view from the counseling office windows, but it sure was hot today! I saw thirteen students there who were hurriedly passing in and out to other obligations. I appreciate them taking their time out of their busy schedules to hear some of what I had to say. This shot is looking up to the main building which houses the counseling staff.
Or if you prefer, here's my attempt to be a more dramatic photographer with my camera phone!
My day closed at Tamalpais High School in Mill Valley where Susan Gertman invited me to speak to the senior class and their parents as part of College Night. (I was speaking on being at the receiving end of applications, and hope I did all right...it's strange switching to a microphone when you're not used to it... somehow inherently makes it more formal and official... and I don't know that I'm either of those things!)Here's a picture of the crowd gathered for the evening, as well as a shot of their fantastic theater facilities. A few years ago one of the students I interviewed invited me to a night of one-acts and it was some very good theater.


In between visits I had a few moments to kill so I stopped in at the Marin Art & Garden Center. It afforded me the chance to clear my mind and just take the opportunity to relax for a bit. (I also had the chance to visit their antique shop where I may or may not have picked up some wonderful copper pots...) Anyway, I give you several shots of the gardens there, and highly recommend that if you're ever in the area you take the chance to browse.
I was taken by this huge tree; a closeup of the trunk is below to give you a sense. You really have to appreciate the great lengths people in this area go to in order to preserve some old growth trees.


A full day of visits and one interview tomorrow, so I'm off to bed! Have a great end to the week and an even better weekend!
From Marin County, all the best.
-Noble

No comments:
Post a Comment