My first day of visits in the city proper took me first to French American International School on Oak Street. This visit typically instills fear in heart because of the parking situation, but today worked out beautifully so I had a half hour to kill after only one full go-around. Sometimes you win! I love my visits to FAIS because of their students, who are so enthusiastic to hear about the college that I wish I could bottle and sell their excitement.We also have one sophomore back on campus who seems very happy (and is very well known at FAIS) and that helps, too! This is a shot of from the roof of the sixth floor which you take to move between buildings and, on warmer days, serves as a great spot to grab lunch. (I suppose it doesn't look so hot on gray days such as today, so here's a shot of the school's front to make up for it.)
I then headed across town to Lowell High School where they welcomed me into the new counseling center, a much roomier space and substantially easier in which to present. The staff is so warm and welcoming, and it is greatly appreciated to experience when you're out on the road. I met three young women with a full range of interests, and I'm pleased I was able to schedule a visit.
My final stop of the day was close by at St. Ignatius. I wasn't able to meet with any students but I appreciate the counseling staff taking time to introduce themselves. And I interviewed a terrific St. Ignatius student yesterday, so that makes up for it!
As you can see, the weather returned to foggy and overcast today as the wind changed direction. However, as I returned to my hotel the sun broke through for a few minutes so I ran across the street and took a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz island...not the best, but pretty neat nonetheless.
The hotel I'm staying in was once a Del Monte cannery--in the historic Haslett Warehouse. They've struck a partnership with the Maritime National Historical Park, so my stay is not only comfortable but also educational! Seriously though, they happened to have an incredible rate (for SF) that included parking, so I couldn't pass it up. (It was also about my only option given the conferences in town this week!) I met with three students this evening in the lobby for interviews... which started off perfectly but ended a bit crazy as the hotel hosts a nightly complimentary wine tasting and the lobby fills up and becomes a mad house. Thanks, Katy, for being such a sport!
My apologies to Barbara at Drake... I did not spell her name correctly (McCune is the appropriate spelling, thank you Marna!).
From San Francisco, all the best.
-Noble

No comments:
Post a Comment