A very busy day wherein I met with a great number of fantastic students and supportive counselors... thanks to all for making it a most enjoyable day! I started off at Bentley School which is through the tunnel in Lafayette. I also enjoy my time there, and today I had the chance to sit and chat with AnnMarie of the counseling office, as well as meeting with two students. One is interested in Studio Art and the other in our Food for Thought/Environmental Studies programs. This is a shot looking back to the central courtyard of the school...classes were in session and I didn't feel like attracting too much attention!I then raced back into Oakland for a meeting at College Prep. Their campus is hidden away in a small valley right off of the highway but it is so picturesque you'd swear you were in the middle of a mountain hideaway. Five students came to say hello and learn about Kenyon, and it was a pleasure spending time with them. The head of counseling, Martin Bonilla, was kind enough to be a real sport and pose with my trusty travel binder. You're the best, Martin! Great seeing you again--have a terrific fall semester. (How beautiful is the landscaping?)
I then headed over to Piedmont High School where I was disappointed to find that a large part of the campus was under construction. They're remodeling them so that they are more earthquake-proof; I had planned on snapping a picture of the old library there which usually houses the counseling center. The staff and volunteers, however, are crammed into temporary quarters upstairs. So, we had our meeting outside! And just recess in elementary school, it was SO difficult for me to concentrate. I finally came to, though, and had a fun meeting with five students. Thanks for taking time from your day! Check out the really cool design of the school.
I then headed to St. Mary's in Berkeley where I met with one student who has already started his application to Kenyon, as well as having a nice chance to catch up with Janet, the guidance counselor for the school. This picture looks up to the school from the parking lot. I also took a picture of the San Francisco skyline as seen from the lot, but at the end of the day there was too much haze (fog?) to really be worth posting.

And then, my final visit of the day, to Berkeley High School. It was the end of the day and after hours and to be honest I didn't expect to meet with any students. It had been my intention to just say hello to Angela Price, the new counselor there, who previously worked in admissions for Connecticut College. However, seven students met me in the library! What a terrific and pleasant surprise! I must confess that presenting here is one of the most difficult places to speak because the room is concurrently being used for a number of different purposes. So, I'm speaking with seven students but there are more than sixty people in there. Crazy! But yet another wonderful visit to Berkeley, so I won't complain.

This is a shot of one of many murals at the school, and it is my picture of the day. This one overlooks Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and depicts one of his famous quotes. It is rather beautiful and inspiring, overlooking the intersection and drawing students to the school.
I've moved to Marin County, north of the city, where I'll be through Sunday. For dinner, I raced up to San Rafael and grabbed carryout from Sol Food. I swear I'm not being compensated for these endorsements, but this place is ridiculously good, and a real price performer. It's a steal, in fact. And I can't say enough how good it is. Check out their website just for fun--and let it load (it's slow) because it's worth it. This won't be my last Sol Food this trip!From Larkspur, all the best.
-Noble

No comments:
Post a Comment