Kenyon College

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

New friends, great students and Santa Claus, to boot

I had a wonderful first visit at East Anchorage High School this morning where my meeting was more like sitting down with old friends than new. Below is a picture of Vonnie Gaither, career resource advisor at EA, and Mutale Pauline Bingley, TRiO advisor. Vonnie also happens to be an impressive artist and she was ever-so-kind to send me away with some of her original cards with different paintings. (To be honest, they're so beautiful I want to keep them all to myself!) Mutale, originally from South Africa, attended college in Pittsburgh. I owe the ladies a Kenyon pennant for their office and a Terrible Towel, too!

This most impressive painting adorns the side of the school as you approach.

My second visit was closer to downtown at Steller School, an independent school part of the Anchorage School District. We have one student currently enrolled at Kenyon from Steller, and it was a terrific visit.

I then headed over to A. J. Dimond High School on the west side of the city. It's an impressive new facility with a breathtaking view of the mountains. The second picture below shows the view from the main entry to the school.



I learned of the Native Alaskan story of the Raven and the Bear today via this impressive sculpture in downtown Anchorage. I'm sorry that I couldn't snap a better picture but it was impossible to fit it all in one photo and still have it look good.


My final stop of the day (after a few fantastic interviews back in the lobby of my hotel) was a stop for carryout pizza from Moose's Tooth. As yet another disclaimer, I'm not in the business of recommending or endorsing any establishments... but EVERY person I asked for dinner recommendations said that I had to visit this place. And to be honest, it was some of the best pizza I've ever had. As a rule of thumb, there are two rules to follow in predicting the quality of a pizza joint. The first: if the restaurant doesn't deliver, it's a good sign... it means they're so busy in-house that they don't have to concern themselves with delivery. The second: if this guy endorses it, it has to be good:


It's almost that time of year, and he's clearly readying himself for a long winter's night. Thanks, Santa, for posing for my picture of the day.

From Anchorage, all the best.
-Noble

No comments: