According to my GPS unit, I'm 3,188 miles (via direct route) from Gambier.
From the beautiful and evidently newly remodeled Anchorage airport, a large banner celebrating 50 years of statehood for Alaska:

In addition to all of the modern conveniences at the airport, as well as stunning installations in celebration of Alaskan history and culture, there are some impressive wild installations that remind me of the American History Museum in New York. This is a rare albino beaver--reportedly occurring about 1 in a million times.
I'd like to think that she and Ellie the Cat would be friends though I imagine that's a stretch.These are a series of pictures of University Lake looking back east to the Chugach mountain range. It's actually the view from the rear of my hotel. Not bad, eh? And for the record, the most affordable hotel all travel season!



The ripples in the water are from various types of waterfowl, many species of which I've never before seen. Note the sign on the downed tree in the last picture... I believe it said something about the presence of beavers in the area, so of course the tree was downed by a beaver.And finally, my shot of the day... it's been a while since I included a self-portrait, so here you go.
I have three school visits in the morning followed by two interviews. I'm excited to meet students here and learn of their approach in thinking of higher education options.Did you know that Anchorage was the epicenter of a 9.2 magnitude earthquake in 1964? It was 15 times the strength of the 1989 Bay Area quake. Learned that one this evening... terrifying pictures out there on the web, and some amazing films captured the events of the day on 8mm. Just thought you should know.
From Anchorage, all the best!
-Noble

No comments:
Post a Comment