My second day of visits in Anchorage was productive and enjoyable. I started the morning at Robert Service High School, home of the cougars. I had a terrific time meeting with Yuko Bennedetti of the CRC--we had a long chat, and I appreciate her time. Here are a few photos from the front of the high school, taken at about 10 o'clock in the morning... it was a dark start to the day.

My second stop was down to South Anchorage High School, home of the wolverines, where I met with four students over lunch break. I believe the new school has been around for six years or so, and I wish I could have taken more pictures because it is a beautiful facility. The view when I went in was stunning... I should have taken a picture before my meeting as the clouds rolled in during and made pictures impossible. This is a shot of the main entry.
I then drove less than a mile to Grace Christian High School and had a lovely meeting with the school counselor. No seniors were around, unfortunately, but I look forward to future visits. The mascot of the school is the Grizzly Bear, seen here in the main hallway. It was a real one... it stands up above the doors overlooking all visitors... rather intimidating!
My final visit in Alaska was to West Anchorage High School, home of the eagles. I presented twice while there, once to two juniors who had taken time out of their class schedule to meet with me, and secondly to a sophomore class to discuss Kenyon in general as well as the Young Writers Workshop offered by the Kenyon Review. Check out the awesome mural on the exterior of West's auditorium.

For my final picture from my travels in Alaska, I give you one more shot from Service. I took this one before my visit started as I was waiting in the parking lot. It was breathtaking... I hope you get a sense of it.
I'm back in Seattle for the night, and had two enjoyable interviews with students I met one my earlier trip. I have a college fair tomorrow afternoon before heading down to Portland for the national fairs on Sunday and Monday. I'll blog if anything exciting happens or I can snap some quality pictures of the day. From Seattle, all the best.
-Noble

No comments:
Post a Comment