Kenyon College

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Howdy from the Music City!

A terrific day of visits in Memphis that energized me for a long drive to Nashville this evening... I started out at Memphis University School where I met with their new director of college counseling Brian K. Smith, formerly of The Baylor School in Chattanooga. I met with a few students, one of whom is visiting Kenyon's campus this weekend for the Cultural Connections visit program. I can't wait to show him around Gambier!

I then headed back to Germantown to Houston High School where students were tied up in AP classes but I had a delightful visit with Ms. Little.


At 11:30 I visited St. George's Independent School in Collierville where two students were waiting to learn more about Kenyon. It was a great first visit to this school, and I look forward to working with the counseling staff in years to come. This visit was particularly enjoyable as St. George's President is a Kenyon alumnus, and a member of the foreign language faculty is the brother of one of our wonderful Kenyon English professors! Such a small world!


I then headed back into town for a meeting at White Station High School. Though I met ten students there last year, only one was on hand to meet with me...but what a great meeting it was! I hope to see her on campus in the weeks to come.


Finally, a trip over to Lausanne Collegiate School where six students came by to say hello, and I was able to meet the counselor, Mr. Rudy Cope, in person for the first time. Always nice putting a face to a voice (or email address!)

My picture of the day is from Houston High School. These are pictures of the school band's tractor trailer! Wow!


The bug guard on the front of the semi reads, "Haulin' Brass". Awesome!

Four visits in Nashville tomorrow followed by an interview.

From the Music City, all the best.
-Noble

No comments: