Last Friday signaled the end to my annual fall travels. It was a positive note to finish on, though I must admit I was incredibly tired by the end of it all. My day began in the fog at Head-Royce in Oakland where a student host, Julia, was kindly waiting to accompany to our meeting. I met with a number of students of there and, as always, it was an enjoyable visit. Below is the gatehouse at Head-Royce, and then a picture looking down onto the campus.

The second stop of the day was to see Ms. Ellen Smith at Las Lomas High School in Walnut Creek. This is the first time I've visited Las Lomas and I'm sad there were no students free to meet with me, but a Friday that happened to be on Halloween weekend...what can I really ask for? It was good meeting with Ms. Smith and we had a good conversation about Kenyon, higher education in general, and the students of Las Lomas. Thanks for your time!
My third stop was in Concord at De LaSalle High. Two students were able to make it to my meeting and I'm thrilled I was able to visit the school. This picture doesn't do their campus justice but after so many days on the road I simply didn't feel like attracting more attention by sneaking around and taking pictures!
Back up to Orinda for a visit to Miramonte where I met Ms. Schneider on my fourth stop of the day. It's been a few years since I last visited Miramonte High so I'm pleased to have had a chance to touch base with the counseling office. Sadly I was competing with a pep rally, so needless to say I lost out! Always next year...Finally, I ended my travels at The Athenian School in Danville. I've always enjoyed my visits to their campus, set in/adjacent to Mount Diablo State Park. It's a gorgeous place, and the people are just as friendly.
Well, that's it for my travels! I'll be checking in as the year progresses with updates about visit programs, application deadlines and mailing dates, so stay tuned!From Gambier, all the best.
-Noble

No comments:
Post a Comment