Secondly, treat yourself and read Professor Royal Rhodes' comments to the first-year students, quoted below. He delivered these last night as a part of our annual Life on the Hill program. Life on the Hill happens every year on the first night of orientation and presents several community members--students, faculty, staff--and their advice for making the most of ones' time while 'on the hill.' Professor Rhodes was asked to speak on 'learning'. This is a small but exemplary reason why I consider him to be one of the best teachers I've ever encountered. Not only does he captivate a classroom and enthrall his students with his seemingly-unending knowledge... he also cares. And that isn't unique to Professor Rhodes. But he does it so very well.
I wish I could relive my time at Kenyon, for it is time spent learning from minds such as his that make this experience on the hill the experience of a lifetime.
You will hear Kenyon described as a "community of learning," a place that values challenging thought and academic excellence.From Ransom Hall, ready for an amazing year to come.
The long tradition of learning of which we are a part touches on the basic questions of life: Who am I? Where did I come from? Where am I going?
You already know from your prior academic experiences and will learn afresh at Kenyon that there are many diverse styles and rhythms and locations of learning: in the dorms, the bookstore, the KAC (especially around the Sushi bar), in the library (perhaps five minutes before the closing bell), and even, yes, even in the classroom or lab.
Many of you will look to find a basic root metaphor of what is "learning". Some we can call the disciples of the ancient philosopher Plato who look for archetypal answers, eternal and unchanging truth. BIG-T Truth. You may think all your professors possess all Truth, and your mission (should you choose to accept it) is to tease from the faculty that BIG-T Truth that will answer all your questions and solve all your problems.
Some others I call New-Age Buddhists see learning as ever-changing, impermanent, totally variable. Their motto is: Ride with the tide; go with the flow. But real Buddhists share with Kenyon at least one major thing: For both, life and learning take place along the Middle Path.
And others in the process of learning want a code of strict, unbendible rules. They want THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. At Kenyon these would more probably be called THE TEN SUGGESTIONS -- and even these would be regarded as rather iffy.
But, like an academic Letterman, I give you 10 (with only an illusion of order):
10. Seek insight more than mere information. That takes focus, concentration, time to reflect. Even time alone. Don't fear that.
9. Learning is eye-to-eye; I to I. As Dean Delahunty reminded you this morning, at Kenyon learning is more face-to-face than FaceBook. So stash the iPhone, iPod, iTech. And use them wisely.
8. Retrain yourself for deep reading, deep thinking, even what the old SNL routine called "Deep Thoughts". Forget the current motto: "I TWEET therefore I am." You are much more than 140 characters can convey. Do not let yourself shrink into a WIKI-Stub.
7. The WEB is a magnificent metaphor for connection. But do not build a WALL -- you will end up in the MATRIX.
6. Nothing in the universe is or has been or will be YOU. Listen for your own unique and unrepeatable voice and outlook that are authentic, original, creative. Send back the Clones. Your uniqueness is the heart of integrity in learning.
5. Learn to exceed your limits by learning collaboratively. This is a gathering, a college, a community, NOT an isolated study carrel. Learn how others consecrate their lives. You are preparing to talk with someone you have not yet encountered.
4. Pass on knowledge passed on to you: from parents, teachers, friends, strangers, even the trees who are constantly talking to you. But this can only happen if you allow learning to happen. Learning is a "grammar of assent": Yes, Yes, Yes!
3. Open books require open minds. When sparks of friction occur in a discussion or classroom -- and they will, whenever intense learning takes place -- be willing to work through it with each other. Question others, but focus your sharpest and most demanding questions on yourself and your own ideas.
2. Learn to develop talents in service of a better world, even without knowing for sure what difference it will make. All learning is a leap of faith. Be leapers! The people who planted these trees around us knew they would not live to see them fully grown. Plant a tree when you are 70 years old.
1. Learning is life-long and your connections to this unique place of learning are endless, as are your responses to life's great questions: Who am I? Where did I come from? Where am I going?
As the poet Mary Oliver asks us: "Tell me, what is it you plan to do/ with your one, wild and precious life?" ["The Summer Day"]
-Noble

No comments:
Post a Comment