This is my first time visiting this area of the country on behalf of the College. I was curious to see if the 'typical student' encountered on the road would vary from those I meet in my other territories (Northern California and the Pacific Northwest). I can happily say that they don't! It is interesting hearing the students discuss their thoughts on working through their potential college options, and their efforts to see themselves in the 'North'. Conceptually that's a different beast than anything I encountered when I was going through this process...and I feel that it's different than coastal students looking at the opposite side of the country.
I landed in Nashville on Sunday and drove immediately to Memphis where I had scheduled an interview with a student who had been on campus for one of our visit programs. (Sometimes we aren't able to accommodate all of the interview requests from students who are on campus for one particular event or another. More on interviewing in a moment...) It was a distinct pleasure to be able to sit and talk with him about his high school experiences, his hopes and dreams for college and beyond, and how he saw himself lending to and benefiting from the Kenyon community.
On Monday, I visited three schools in the Memphis / Germantown area. I then drove back to Nashville and met with three students for interviews. Seven appointments and two hundred miles tired me out a bit...
I then had only two visits on Election Day but was able to meet with four students in the afternoon. Today I visited four more schools in Nashville and then drove here, where I enjoyed meeting with four more students. Tomorrow, I'll visit four Chattanooga schools and then return to Nashville for a Friday morning flight back to Columbus. And that will mark the end of my fall travel season!
A quick thought on interviews, as promised... At Kenyon, we strongly recommend interviews in consideration for admission to the College, though we do not require them. An interview allows us the opportunity to step away from the page and learn more about an applicant--to hear how the student sees him/herself at Kenyon. It's also a great opportunity to ask some of those nagging questions that perhaps you haven't had the chance to have addressed. An interview lets us get a sense of who you are--what is important to you, your passions and interests, your hopes and dreams--while hopefully also providing you with a sense of how Kenyon can best benefit you.
We can accommodate interviews on campus most weeks, Mondays through Saturdays. Check out our online Admissions calendar if you're planning a visit, and call our office to schedule an appointment. If you aren't able to make it to campus and reside outside Ohio, and weren't able to meet with a member of the Admissions staff during our travels, you still have the opportunity to meet with a Kenyon graduate for an Alumni Interview. To request an Alumni Interview, complete Part I of our application (free if done online) and you'll soon receive an email with a password and username to the MyApp website. From there, you can complete a request form. We'll then do our best to find an available alumna/us in your area.
Questions about this entry, or any others related to Kenyon or our application process? Let me know!
From Chattanooga, Tennessee, all the best wishes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Gambier, Ohio 43022 (740)427-5000

No comments:
Post a Comment